As well as seeing the Windmill Montessori nursery move back to their usual home in the other half of the Maida Vale Library basement, we’ve had a few ‘crowning’ achievements recently, most notably during the May half term.
To mark the Diamond Jubilee of The Queen’s Coronation, Maida Vale ran an array of events and activities for children of all ages:
- Just for the under 5s we devised a ‘Crown Hunt’ where the little ones had to find cardboard crowns hidden around the library.
When completed they received a free children’s DVD loan, plus entry into a prize draw to win a fluffy Corgi dog toy. Here is the lucky winner cradling her new toy!
- For the over 5s we made a quiz all about The Queen. There were some tough questions but luckily all the answers could be found in a special temporary wall display of pictures and facts.
Everyone who took part received a free children’s DVD loan, plus entry into a prize draw to win a royal souvenir.
- We also ran an ongoing art and story competition for ages 3 – 11. Children were given the opportunity to draw a picture of the Queen, or write a short story or poem about her. Prizes are going to be given for the best entries in three age categories and all entrants will be awarded a certificate for taking part. And copies of all the entries are going to be displayed in the library as well as being sent to Her Majesty!
- On Tuesday 28 May the Westminster Adult Education Service ran ‘Naughty Peter Rabbit’, a free Family Learning Workshop where parent and child got to take home their own FREE copy of the classic tale with ideas on how to use it and other books at home.
- And on Thursday 30 May we ran two craft sessions where lots of children got to make and decorate their own royal crown to take home and wear, with excellent results as you can see!
Another busy month in our temporary home in the basement. Keep an eye on our events page for both regular and special events coming up.
Next at Maida Vale Library: On Saturday 22 June 2013: ‘Puppets Tell Summer Stories’, another FREE workshop (for over 5s) being provided by WAES. Families will get to make puppets from recycled materials and use them to tell a story. Contact the library to book your place.
Hope to see you soon!
[Maida Vale Library]